When you find yourself standing in front of your closet thinking you have nothing to wear, think again! It may be time to reassess your closet and start playing matchmaker with your existing separates to create fun new combinations. There are hidden gems in your closet just waiting to meet their perfect match. Here’s some inspiration for common pieces in your closet and how to re-work them into new outfits.
Re-mix your plain or graphic tee.
- The easiest way to change up your everyday jeans and tee look is to ditch the old blue jeans. Instead, slip into a pair of fitted white denim and accessorize with colorful statement jewelry. (Try coordinating your jewelry with the colors found in the tee.) Add a playful printed flat for a cool but casual feel.
- Second best way to dress up your graphic tee is with a skater skirt. Arguably the most versatile piece, after the little black dress and timeless black heels of course; a colorful skater skirt can bring life to any outfit! Glam it up with some sparkling baubles but balance the look with a pair of classic sneakers for yet another pulled together casual look.
- Use your comfortable jersey tee in a workday outfit by pairing it with a printed pencil skirt. When working with prints, you always want to balance with simple items; the plain tee works perfectly without making the outfit look too casual. Add a thin metallic belt at the waist and a pair of classy heels to add a bit of sophistication. The versatility of the plain tee is incredible – just think of all the possibilities!
Dress up your plain sweater.
- Layers can work to your advantage, no matter the garment. Try mixing a sweater with a sleeveless little black dress for a fanciful take on this casual staple. Top it off with some sparkles, classic heels and a colorful wide belt to hold things together.
- If you’re looking to still have the comfort of jeans, skip the normal blues and go for crisp white jeans. (When in doubt about wearing jeans but still wanting to look dressy, reach for a white pair – the contrast will be stunning with all colors!) The clean canvas of white will also allow you to highlight a couple pieces of colorful accessories or some printed flats.
MONEY TIP: You can still profit from your old clothes after you’ve grown tired of them. Try selling your gently used pieces on Poshmark or to a consignment shop to earn some cash towards your next wardrobe purchase. You can also earn a tax credit by donating your unwanted clothes to the Goodwill or another local thrift store.
So, get out of the jeans and tee rut you’ve been in and mix things up with the pieces you already own. Chances are, you have plenty to wear, you just haven’t thought of it yet!
What’s your favorite way to remix an old favorite? Comment below!