June 9th //
Long day at the office? Full day of meetings? Or even have a big night out in the works? The one thing we all want is for our makeup to stand the test of time and make it through. Keep your makeup photo-ready and looking perfectly fresh for hours with these time-tested tips.
- Exfoliating is the name of the game. If your skin is dry and flaky, your makeup will be too. Use a gentle exfoliator a couple of times a week to keep your skin smooth and supple.
- Use a light moisturizer. While hydrating the skin is absolutely essential, keeping it light will help keep makeup in place. Forgo thick and heavy creams for a light daily moisturizer. (and let it soak in before applying makeup!)
- Primer. Primer. Primer. This worthwhile step gets the skin makeup ready by creating a barrier between your skin’s natural oil and the makeup. Make primer part of your routine.
- Practice less is more. Keeping your makeup natural and light means less makeup to smudge or slough off.
- Try waterproof eye pencils. Keeping eyeliner in place is a tough one, but with a waterproof pencil, it’s not going anywhere.
- Skip the lip gloss. If you need to keep your lips looking lovely, try a long-lasting lip pencil.
- Final step: hold it all in place with a sheer, translucent powder.
Got any tips to add? Please share!
June 8th //
Thinking of doing a facial peel at home? Good for you! A face peel is one of the best things you can do for your skin. From brightening effects to shrinking pores, I promise you’re going to love the results. But before you get started, there are a few things you need to know. Check out these tips for a DIY facial peel, the right way.
DIY Skincare: How to Do A Facial Peel at Home
- Find a peel kit with beta and alpha hydroxy and glycolic acids (this is my FAVORITE) – the more acids, the better. The combination of acids will have better results than a single high potency acid and will also be less harsh on your skin.
- Taking care of your skin after the peel is an important step! A peel removes a whole layer of skin, so right after apply a soothing serum with retinol, vitamin c, or peptides. Follow that with moisturizer.
- Look for a peel that’s already measured out for you with pre-soaked pads. It’s easy to use too much, which will irritate the skin.
Have you tried an at-home facial peel? How did it go?
June 5th //
Don’t you just love when there’s a beach trip planned on your calendar?! It’s fun to focus on beach ready hairstyle ideas because lets face it – our outfits are already planned out. Bikini? Check!
5 Summer Ready Hairstyles for the Beach
- All About Braids. Sure, they can be intricate and a bit time consuming but your hair will look gorgeous in person and just as amazing in pictures from your trip.
- Pretty Ponytails. This takes all of three seconds and is just about the easiest beach ready hairstyle to pull off. Ever.
- Beautiful Buns. A topknot on the beach is the perfect way to add some glam to your swimsuit attire. Or try a low bun for a little bit of flair.
- Sun Protecting Scarves. Protect your strands with an adorable accessory.
- Salt Water Waves. Texturizing spray will do the job, or… you can just wet your hands in the ocean and scrunch dry hair. Viola!
How do you wear your hair at the beach?
June 4th //
Picking out a new shade is the best part of your weekly mani and sometimes we can end up forgetting to be just as selective with our base and the best top coat polish! Why spend money on getting your nails done or take the time to DIY when you’ll be dealing with chipping or peeling just a few days later? Here’s what I do to protect my nails, seal in color and get high-gloss shine.
The Best Top Coat Polish That Protects & Gives High Gloss Shine
- First I apply my Motives Base Coat. It seals in natural oils, which prevents chipping, peeling and staining. It is also formulated with Horsetail Extract to strengthen nails and promote growth.
- Next I choose from one of my favorite new summer lacquers 2 coats!
- After 60 seconds, I finish with Motives Clear Top Coat. It seals in nail color, prevents polish chipping and protects your nails from breaking easily.
Tell me your go-to top coat nail polish for every day wear in the comments! Which base + top coats work best for you?
June 2nd //
Between a daily flat iron ritual, curls for a night out and constant blow drying, you locks really can take a beating and end up pretty fried. When you add dye treatments, constant product application and the harsh changing of the seasons, damaged hair can be tough to avoid! When my hair is looking ragged, I have a few treatments for dry hair hidden up my sleeve…
Summer SOS! 5 Treatments to Help Dry Hair
- Leave in conditioner: an old standby; super moisturizing and detangling
- Honey & olive oil: just peek in your kitchen cupboard for a natural remedy that will hydrate and lock in moisture (one of the best natural hair treatments for damaged hair!)
- Argan oil: a natural oil that replenishes and adds loads of shine
- A beer rinse (seriously!): want to get rid of all that built up product? Shampoo and condition like normal than pop open a beer and rinse with cool water. You won’t believe the shine
- Coconut oil: amazing for split ends!
What do you think of these treatments for dry hair? Got any tricks of your own to share?