May 5th //
Guest Blogger: Dr. Agnes P. Olszewski, Founder of AcnEase | www.acnease.com
Summer is almost here and we want to look our best at all those weddings, graduations and beach and garden parties, so we speed up nature (and avoid harmful exposure to UVA – “bad” sun rays) by using self-tanning products. When you have acne or rosacea, you need to be aware of how the use of sunless tanning products may present a risk of irritating your skin and amplifying the existing skin problems. Remember these 8 rules to keep from getting any flare-ups.
Summer Skin Tips: Self Tanning for Acne Prone Skin
- Choose products that are light, without a heavy oil base. Heavy oil will clog your pores.
- Choose products that contain SPF of at least 15 so you don’t have to apply a second layer of sun protection on top of the sunless tanning product.
- Select products with moisturizers if your skin is dry or sensitive. Those with oily skin may find that gel based products work better for them.
- Choose a tanner that contains vitamins, herbal extracts and antioxidants when possible.
- Exfoliate your skin before you apply the self tanning product. However, if your skin is heavily irritated, or your acne is severe, you may do better without exfoliation, and therefore consider using a bronzer (temporary darker or “gold” hue make-up or powder) instead of a self tanner.
- Applying the self tanning product without exfoliation and on uneven skin may cause streaks and darker spots that are difficult to remove for weeks. Bronzer on the other hand may be blended in and adjusted as needed. Remember to remove it at night with a gentle cleanser.
- Choose a self tanning product that is the lightest to match your skin color.Darker colors amplify the look of marks and scars.
- When opting for a bronzer instead of a self tanner, dab concealer in your original skin color, or one shade lighter, on your acne, pimples, scars etc. Blend a bronzer with your usual foundation and distribute evenly, and in sheer layers with your fingertips. Or, if you want an even more shear look, apply with a lightly damp cosmetic sponge . Avoid dark shades and heavy layers of bronzers and make-up.
Finally – the tanning pills: they are commercially banned in the US, yet some people get their hands on them. DO NOT USE THEM! They contain the carotene chemical canthaxanthin (the same pigment found in carrots), and have been associated with hepatitis and urticaria, a condition that involves relentless itching and skin eruptions.
May 3rd //
Countless magazine articles, blog posts and YouTube videos have shown us the best way to apply blush for your shape and how to find the right blush for your skin tone. But what about choosing the best blush for your skin type?
How to Choose the Right Blush for Your Skin Type
- For photographs and events, all skin types: pressed blush comes in the most shades and is universal for all skin types and tones. It is also the most long lasting if you use a good formula!
- For when you don’t wear foundation, dry skin: cream blush can be applied with fingers, a flat brush or stippling brush. Moisturizing for dry skin or perfect for summer when you don’t want to wear foundation but need some color.
- For when you want a sheer tint, oily skin: stain or gel blush is great for oily skin or women that like sheer buildable color.
I experiment with them all, depending on the season and where I am in the world but I must say – powder blush will always be my go-to. What’s your preference? Have you found the best blush for your skin type?
May 3rd //
When I first saw this, I had to go back and re-read because I wasn’t sure it was real. Is this every woman’s dream come true? Simone Pérèle has just released a line of caffeine spiked shapewear that blasts cellulite while you wear it!
Caffeine Infused Shapewear That Gets Rid of Cellulite?
The Lycra and lace that make up the pieces contain slimming agents including vitamin E, aloe vera, retinol and the main ingredient, caffeine. Released upon contact with the skin, the microencapsulated slimming agents help smooth cellulite.
The French lingerie brand claims the sexy shapewear really does work – and 63% of women who tried it agree! Cellulite is one of those things (whether you’re thin or have some curves) that plagues so many women. From dieting to creams to surgical procedures, getting rid of cellulite for good can become a mission and it’s a tough one to win. But slipping into some gorgeous shapewear and having it blitz away cellulite for you? Incredible.
Does this sound too good to be true? Will you give this caffeine infused shapewear a try?
April 29th //
Hayden Panettiere looked beautiful at the White House Correspondent’s Dinner in Washington, D.C., pairing her braids with glowing, fresh skin and a bold lip. While I’m not a huge fan of the Nashville actress’ Katherine Kidd dress, I did love the color and her amazing hair + makeup. Lets break it down with a few tips to remember when copying Hayden’s look!
Hayden Panettiere’s Fresh Makeup at the White House Correspondent’s Dinner
- Braids have been back in style and aren’t going anywhere. This is one of the best braid headband tutorials I’ve seen on Pinterest – super easy!
- Prep the face. Double up your products by mixing your primer with a highlighter to get an all-over glow.
- Clean up your brows. This look wouldn’t be nearly as flawless without Hayden’s perfect eyebrows. Use an eyebrow kit with wax to keep them in place, and try a stencil if you need some help shaping!
- Go easy on the eyes. Gold eye shadow with black liner and mascara on the top lashes only balance out the lip to keep it youthful.
- Leave the lips for last. After your face is finished, prime and line the lips, filling in with a true red lipstick. Use a lip brush for precise application.
And just like Naya Rivera’s purple makeup from last week, Hayden’s is perfect for spring!
April 28th //
If you’re thinking about taking your skin care regimen up a notch, adding a weekly skin care masque to your routine is the perfect place to start. No matter what type of skin you have – normal, oily, dry etc. – you can find the right formula for you with a little trial and error. Adding a skincare masque once or twice a week is a proactive step to exfoliate, tighten pores, deep clean and give an overall brighter look. I never miss my at-home pampering session! With so many different products out there (and they really aren’t one size fits all!), find out which skincare masque is best for you below!
Which Skincare Masque is Best for You?
Do you use a weekly skin care masque? What’s your favorite?