June 13th //
Summer usually equals wearing less makeup but I don’t want what I do apply to drip off my face! Avoiding a makeup meltdown over the next few months can be a little tricky (especially if you’re taking a trip or work outdoors), but here are the three steps I always follow when applying makeup in the summer heat.
3 Beauty Tricks for Applying Makeup in the Summer Heat
- If you have to blow dry your hair, do it before you wash your face. Blow dry, cleanse and then apply makeup to ensure you don’t sweat
- I like applying my makeup in front of a fan or window AC unit. The air keeps my skin cool and smooth, reducing any redness or inflammation
- Using a makeup setting spray to keep your handiwork in place is a must! It will also control oil from the day’s humidity and sunshine
How you keep your makeup from melting during the summer?
June 12th //
Highlights and color are some of the best and most classic ways you can transform the look of your hair. But no matter what, roots eventually become a major issue. Looking for ways to extend the life of your hair color is high priority and can buy a little extra time before your next trip to the salon. Between styling and some great products, there’s quite a few ways to hide roots for just a little while longer.
Got Roots? 6 Tips for Extending the Life of Your Hair Color
- Root cover up. Ever heard of it? It’s like makeup for your hair. Just dust a little on those roots and you’re good to go!
- Braids! (you know how much I love a good braid) Try milk braids or French braids to disguise those roots.
- Give your roots a DIY touchup. There’s lots of drugstore kits out there created specifically for touching up roots. Give it a try!
- A scarf. There’s so many gorgeous scarfs for summer – and they are perfect for your hair. Try headbands and turbans too.
- Root spray. This stuff is pretty great – it even stays put until your next shampoo.
- Switch your part to the opposite side. Not only is this a great trick, it gives you a totally new look to play with.
How about you? Got any tricks for covering up those pesky roots?
June 9th //
Long day at the office? Full day of meetings? Or even have a big night out in the works? The one thing we all want is for our makeup to stand the test of time and make it through. Keep your makeup photo-ready and looking perfectly fresh for hours with these time-tested tips.
- Exfoliating is the name of the game. If your skin is dry and flaky, your makeup will be too. Use a gentle exfoliator a couple of times a week to keep your skin smooth and supple.
- Use a light moisturizer. While hydrating the skin is absolutely essential, keeping it light will help keep makeup in place. Forgo thick and heavy creams for a light daily moisturizer. (and let it soak in before applying makeup!)
- Primer. Primer. Primer. This worthwhile step gets the skin makeup ready by creating a barrier between your skin’s natural oil and the makeup. Make primer part of your routine.
- Practice less is more. Keeping your makeup natural and light means less makeup to smudge or slough off.
- Try waterproof eye pencils. Keeping eyeliner in place is a tough one, but with a waterproof pencil, it’s not going anywhere.
- Skip the lip gloss. If you need to keep your lips looking lovely, try a long-lasting lip pencil.
- Final step: hold it all in place with a sheer, translucent powder.
Got any tips to add? Please share!
May 17th //
I came home to Miami yesterday and there was a gorgeous basket of fresh oranges sitting on my counter! In addition to eating them as a healthy snack, I also might use a few for their amazing orange beauty benefits. I’m all about vitamin C skincare because the skin benefits from oranges are incredible for aging, acne and brightening. Pick your favorite DIY beauty recipe below and let me know how it works for your skin! xo
5 Beauty Benefits of Oranges for Your Skin
- Dry the orange peels and grind into a scrub
- Dip a cotton ball into fresh orange juice to close enlarged pores
- Rub half an orange over your face as a toner, rinse after 5 minutes
- Grate the orange peel into a paste for a pimple treatment
- Eat oranges for vitamin C, which helps with detox and aging
May 8th //
It’s that time of year again, the sun is shining and the air is finally warm! With the weather on our side, shorts and swimsuits are about to make a comeback after a lonnnng winter (hooray!). Unfortunately, along with that cold winter weather comes pale, dry skin. Rather than running up your risk of skin cancer, check out these tips on how to use sunless tanner to get a healthy glow the safe way.
Summer Skin Tips: Self Tanning for Acne Prone Skin
Sunless Tanner: Getting A Sunkissed Glow the Safe Way
- Exfoliate. Prepping your skin for sunless tanner is super important. Removing dead, rough skin with a loofah or scrub will leave your body clean, smooth and ready to soak up a sunless tan.
- After a complete exfoliation, be sure your skin is completely dry. This will prevent color build-up and streaking.
- Once you apply the tanner, wash the palms of your hands, stat. You don’t want tan palms!
- Let the tanner and your skin dry before you put on any clothing. When the tanner has completely absorbed, put on dark, loose clothing and avoid exercise, swimming or anything that could cause sweat or wetness.
- If you decide to go with a spray tan, follow the same guidelines. Exfoliate and shave before your appointment and follow-up with loose dark clothing. For a few hours skip the exercise and swimming to be sure your spray tan is completely absorbed.
Do you have any tips for wearing sunless tanner?